15 Sept 2010

Hestia and ...the frabjous day!

Hestia and the ironing monster
Callooh! Callay!  Tis truly a frabjous day in the land of Hestia!

I have a monster mountain of ironing that needs slaying and I CAN'T DO IT!

Yessiree - yesterday  my vorpal blade (ie the iron) threw its hand in and promptly tripped the main circuit breaker every time I tried to iron something.  Three times the power went down!

The final time was when my beamish boy was doing something on the mac with a binweevil or some such social networking crap for under 12s.  He called upstairs to me 'You need to stop doing the housework - the electricity doesn't like it!'

And who is to argue with either a grumpy beamish boy or the Bandersnatch that is Electricity?


Yes, I know that the FIRST thing that I should have done this morning is nip out and buy a new iron, but, well, I need to do a LOT of research into WHICH iron is going to best meet our needs.  That should take me at least until the weekend!

Frabjous day! NO IRONING CAN BE DONE!!  I may go outside and check that there is plenty of mimsy in my borogroves.  Or maybe I'll just sit down with a cup of tea and read a book.

*skips off*

11 comments:

  1. frabjous indeed. My ironing implement has a big sticky patch in the middle which transfers vague stickiness to everything I iron. It has been this way now for six years so you'd think it would have run out of stickiness by now - but no.
    Glad to hear someone is having a good day as mine sucks loudly on all counts. Might go and do some ironing to cheer up actually.
    jxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the sound of the word frabjous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A suggestion on how to have a frabjous day everyday: don't bother with a new iron. I've lived without for several years now, and don't miss it at all :-) Even my OH's shirts are Ok so long as they're shaken out and hung as soon as they come out of the machine ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there-sounds like the iron did you a favour, lol!! I too need to invest in a decent iron and get the mountain to a size of a molehill-I live in hope though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changing the beds is my nightmare King size duvet and sheets x3 and 24 pillow cases all egyptian cotton to iron.. How do I do it?
    I put on an audio book or a radio 4 play and loose myself for an hour .. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah! I pretty much just don't iron, so welcome to my world! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take a leaf out of my better half's book. Get Tertarus to do it. I bet he'd look sweet with a big crease down the front of his bike leathers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get this one- not cheap, but cuts the ironing time in half:
    http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=MOR-IRO-42241-CW&utm_source=google&utm_medium=basefeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ali, sorry I haven't visited for a few days. I've just realised I've missed three posts! I shall be catching up at my leisure tomorrow. I hope you're having a wonderful week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post and all the wonderland language.

    My answer to this problem is... I have never or will NEVER own an iron (or an ironing board, obviously).

    I ironed a boyfriend's shirt when I was fifteen and made such a pigs ear of it it was ruined. Thankfully I've never been asked again. I can't do anything with cuffs, collars or buttons. I can however do pillowcases and tea towels! Not that I do of course.

    Ruth OMG! I could do king size duvet covers! I hang mine out very carefully and they don't crease, ditto with washing - stick it straight on a hanger perfectly and it'll be fine. Anything else pop it down the dry cleaners. Job done.

    Have a wonderful weekend. Hope to speak to you very soon. This week's been manic! Good though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is going to sound wrong, but I do like ironing, but the conditions have to be right - it has to be a dark dingy day (if the sun is shining I want to be out in it) and I have to have something good on Sky planner - my favourite would be Desparate Housewives (I can sometimes get through two hours of telly whilst ironing), and sadly I can recommend an iron - according to my off-spring who always bring creased clothes home with them, our iron is the best - it is a Philips Azur Precise 4340 - it's not one of those with the huge tank either and wasn't too expensive - ashamed really to be pushing an iron on such a great blog xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to comment, but I get a phenomenal amount of spam comments on here for some reason - so everything is moderated. But only for spam. Any other comment will be posted :-D

Explore the ruined citadel of m'blog: